All week I've been trying to make Sprinkles' Strawberry Cupcakes. I've had the ingredients, but I haven't had the time for the life of me, between school and work. But today my break finally came! After getting some shopping done at Victoria's Secret, my friend Beth and Icame home and decided to whip these bad boys up. As we were standing there in the kitchen, Beth announces she wishes the cupcaks had chocolate in them. So we did a little altering of the recipe, to come up with chocolate strawberry cupcakes, rather than just strawberry. They were VERY successful and VERY tasty. The frosting and the cake are really sweet, so one is all you need. And since the frosting is clearly pink and every girls' dream, I dedicate these today to shopping at Victoria's Secret.
Also, I am participating in a fun fun blog event. This time I'm participating in Sugar High Friday created by Jennifer at Domestic Goddess. This month's theme over at SHF is berries. Yum yum. What girl doesn't love sweets?!
Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting
2/3 cup whole fres or frozen strawberries, thawed
1 1/4 cups all purpose-baking flour, sifted
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
2 large egg whites, room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
2. Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together with milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree; set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduct the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
5. With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping sides of the bowl as necessary, until just blended.
6. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely before icing.
1/2 cup whole frozen straberries, thawed
1 cup unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold
Pinch of coarse salt
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Place strawberries in the bowl of a small food process; process until pureed. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners' sugar; beat until well combined. Add vanilla and 3 tbsp strawberry pureer; mix until just blended. Do not overmix or frosting will incorporate too much air. Frosting consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream.