I found Barefoot Contessa's recipe for her tomato soup at The Review Lady's blog (check my links on the side bar to see her blog). I've always loved Safeway's tomato basil soup, so I figured that this would only have to be better than that! The girls and I have been having biweekly potlucks, and this week it's my turn to bring the side dish. Because I love these flavors and it makes a lot, I decided it was the perfect opportunity. Though we haven't eaten yet, so I don't know how well it will go over, I did have a bowl of it for lunch and it was living up to my standards. I may run the immersion blender through it again - but the flavor is all there and all right!
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
3 pounds ripe tomatoes, cut in half
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 (28-ounce) canned diced tomatoes, with their juice
4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 quart chicken stock
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
3. In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown.
4. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock.
5. Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet.
6. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
7. Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade. Taste for seasonings.