Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Chocolate Rolls

Several weeks ago my mom and I made cinnamon rolls, though I never got a picture of them to put in here. Since I found them so much fun to make I decided to give it a go again. Typically I'm the type of girl that follows recipes to the tee, but I didn't want cinnamon, I wanted my dream food: chocolate. And from this desire became the birth of my new found breakfast food: the chocolate roll.

I also had to make a change to the dough from the cinnamon roll recipe because I was very low on all-purpose flour. Because of this I replaced a cup and a half of what should have been all-purpose flour with wheat flour. It wasn't a bad change though, however next time I want to try it with just the all-purpose.

Chocolate Roll Recipe
Ingredients
1 (.25 oz) package active-dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp milk
1 cup pecans
Directions
1. In a small bowl dissolve yeast and water. Let sit for 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl combine yeast, sugar, salt, egg, and all-purpose flour. Stir well to combine.
3. Mix in the whole wheat flour 1/2 cup at a time. When the dough has pulled together put it on a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for 10 minutes.
4. Put chocolate, milk, and butter in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, stirring halfway through.
5. Lightly grease a 8x8 inch square pan. Roll dough out on lightly floured surface to a 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Smear the dough with the melted chocolate and then sprinkle evenly with pecans. Roll the dough up from the edge until it forms a roll. Slice the roll into 16 even sized pieces and place them in a pan with cut side up.
6. Cover pan with plastic wrap and let sit for 45 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake rolls until golden brown, about 20 minutes.

No comments: