Sunday, January 4, 2009

Mango Lassi

I got a crock-pot for Christmas and I made curry in it last night, using it for the first time. Unfortunately the curry got devoured by the pigs in my family before I could capture it as well as the homemade naan I made (though I have made that before and posted a picture in here before). So I was on this whole Indian food thing. I traveled to India two summers ago for one of the best experiences of my life and have continued by fascination in the culture through my taste buds. And because I just recently watched the movie Slumdog Millionare, I was intriqued once again to experience a part of the culture.

I bought a Cooking Lite magazine yesterday and one of the recipes was for a mango lassi. YUM! I added more mango than the recipe called for because it was tasting more yogurty than mangoey. And I would also be inclined to Americanize this recipe completely and add other fruits to the mix. It's basically a delicious smoothie.

Mango Lassi
Ingredients
3 ripe mangoes, chopped up
3 cups Greek-style yogurt
1 cup 1% milk
3 tbsp sugar
pistachios
cardamom
Directions
1. Combine the mangoes, yogurt, and milk. Blend together.
2. Blend in the sugar.
3. Pour into glasses and top with several pistachios and a pinch of cardamom.
*makes 6 servings*

1 comment:

Katy said...

I was watching Top Chef last weekend and they kept talking about Lassi -- I didn't know what it was, but now I want to try!